Sunday, October 19, 2008

Observations

Observations

There are few trash cans in Tokyo, almost none. There are none in the conference rooms at the hotel or in the hallways. There are almost none on the street but there is no litter. When I have seen trash cans, they are always attached to recycling bins where people separate their trash. The trash cans were eliminated after some terrorist incidents in other parts of the world but it makes me wonder why we have trash cans only steps away from almost everyplace we go but we have garbage nearly everywhere.

Cell phones are all over Japan but I rarely hear one ring or see anyone talk on their cell phone in public. No one talks on their cell phone in the subways or walking down the street, texting yes, talking no.

American teachers are loud. I can always tell when there are people from our group nearby because I hear loud talking. The Japanese don’t talk in elevators or talk loudly when walking down the street or in hotel hallways.

I mentioned this before but all the Japanese people that I’ve encountered have been extraordinarily helpful, going out of their way to make sure I find my way. I’ve since read that this isn’t always the case and there are incidents of restaurants not serving non-Japanese people.

Japanese bathrooms are so cool. The toilet seats even in the train station are heated, have sound effects to drown out the sounds of, well, you get the idea. Even water that sprays from the toilet seat to, well, you get the idea.

Generally speaking, Japanese people dress up much more than we do. The sloppy t-shirts, jeans and tennis shoes just isn’t seen much here.

There are very few horns honking on the street. When I hear a horn it’s usually to give someone a signal to “go ahead”.

Although the Japanese have been so helpful and friendly, look out on the subway. It’s every person for him or herself. People push and don’t pause to let others in unless you just shove your way in but they aren’t offended by that either.

Attention to detail is highly valued. I went to a thrift store to buy a kimono. When I got to the register, my kimono was very neatly refolded and put carefully in a bag. My package, change, receipt, everything is always handed to me with two hands and a bow of the head.

Food is beautifully presented as well with the same attention to detail. Even my box lunch on the train had 4 different sandwiches, all trimmed to fit the special compartment.

People often wear surgical masks here. I’ve been told that it’s sometimes due to allergies but if someone has a cold they will wear a mask so they don’t spread germs everywhere. Isn’t that thoughtful?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What interesting observations! The one about cell phones especially intrigued me -- I would love to see less talking on them in public places here. People can be so self-absorbed.

Susan Stevenson said...

All of this is so interesting! I love that you are writing about your observations.