Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ghibli Museum and really nice people

Today was the only day that we could do whatever we want to do so I chose to go to the Ghibli Museum, shopping for manga, and to Kamakura. It was too much to cram in to a single day and it was ambitious since Kamakura is an hour outside of Tokyo and requires multiple train transfers. I'm learning that there is even less English spoken as I move out of Tokyo but I did it! And I made it back with no major mishaps, thanks to the kindness of many Japanese people who had the unfortunate luck to end up next to me when I had a question.

Let me stop here because this has amazed me over and over. Without exception, every time I ask directions from someone in Japan they stop, give me their undivided attention, leave what they are doing to show me exactly where I need to be, and track me down if I start going the wrong direction. In fact, one gentleman on the train today walked me to a different platform rather than just telling me where I needed to be. Another woman who didn't know the answer to my question, took my tour book over to another complete stranger to ask for help. She returned to us while he walked to a policeman out of our sight to get the directions, give them to the young woman who then interpreted them to us. Would I do that? I try to be helpful but I'm not that helpful without exception. And I usually point someone in the right direction.

Anyway, back to the Ghibli. Studio Ghibli is the creator, or rather Hayao Miyazaki is the creator, of films such a Spirited Away, the winner of an Academy Award. I couldn't take photos in the museum and it's hard to describe it. It's for adults and children to experience how animation is created in a very whimsical and imaginative way. There were exhibits to show how movement is created in animation, various drawings and storyboards, things to manipulate to show how backgrounds can be used with the other movement layered on top. I saw a short film that hasn't been seen outside the Ghibli but I did buy the book because it was so delightful. It was an experience that the adults enjoyed as much as the small children. The tickets are very difficult to buy; in fact I had to order mine in the US or I wouldn't have been able to go.



















I was able to take outdoor photos so here's me with the giant robot (from Laputa, on the roof of the museum. My mom likes to see my face on the blog.













Here's the sign on the way to let us know we were going the right direction.


















Here's probably the coolest drinking fountain ever.













Kids love pumping the water. Below is the entrance to the museum.































The most fun fish bench ever. You can turn the crank on the eye and it makes sounds.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to visit that museum! I love their movies. Totoro is so much fun.

Anonymous said...

I notice that the water fountains are different from ours. Had you ever tried it?
Sarah

Anonymous said...

thies pic.are cool
leo

Anonymous said...

why do little kids like to pump water under the museum?
lucy